- The Rule of Law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual Respect
- Tolerance for those of different faiths and beliefs
“We want every school to promote the basic British Values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance for those of different faiths and beliefs.” Lord Nash
At Bedford Greenacre Independent School, we develop and promote British Values throughout our school and within our curriculum, such as in PSHEE lessons. We use assemblies and class based activities to discuss British Values and we provide enrichment activities and trips, such as visits to The Houses of Parliament and local law courts, together with a Faith Tour which takes in different local places of worship.
We ensure we listen to our pupils and provide opportunities such as the School Council, which helps them to understand how democracy works by actively promoting the democratic processes, such as the voting system.
We hold mock elections to promote the fundamental British values and provide our pupils with the chance to run for election, to understand that we all have a right to be listened to, debate and defend our beliefs.
A key part of our plan for education is to ensure children become valuable and fully rounded members of society who treat others with respect and leave school fully prepared for life in modern Britain.
To do this our pupils will develop;
- An understanding of how citizens can influence decision-making through the democratic process
- An understanding that the freedom to hold other faiths and beliefs is protected in law
- An acceptance that people having different faiths and beliefs to oneself (or having none) should be accepted and tolerated, and should not be the cause of discriminatory behaviour
- An understanding of the importance or identifying and combating discrimination